The central pharmacy is accessible 24 hours a day and is the principal production area. The central pharmacy consists of:
- An intravenous admixture preparation area with clean room, which is responsible for large-volume parenteral, mini bag, total parenteral nutrition, and chemotherapeutic agent preparation.
- A unit dose area provides for STAT medications to special areas including: emergency center, and the psychiatric pavilion
unit dose area is also responsible for the provision of controlled substances and performing 24-hour medication cart fill for the entire hospital.
- A packaging and manufacturing area prepares unit doses from bulk containers and compounds a variety of dosage forms
purchasing, inventory control, and administrative services also function from the central pharmacy location.
These distribution services are enhanced by state-of-the-art computerized information management systems, including:
- Comprehensive on-line inpatient medication profiles utilizing Cerner's Millenium Product, MedManager
- department wide local area network
- on-line clinical database accessible from each workstation (Micromedex®)
- automated controlled substance and floor stock system (Pyxis®)
- automated cartfill and first dose system (Rxobot®)
- automated TPN compounding system (Baxa® Compounder)
- ambulatory care pharmacy computer system (Relief®)
- computerized patient billing
- computerized purchasing and pricing updates
- pneumatic tube system for STAT medications
Central Pharmacy Services Contacts:
Patricia Tomlinson, Manager Pharmacy UD Operations firstname.lastname@example.org
Joe Ezell, Data Systems Manager email@example.com